E3 2016: BurtonReviews’ Top 5 Moments of the Show

 
Oh it’s the most wonderful time of the year, its gamer heaven, gamer Christmas, it’s like all our dreams and hopes are flung on screen for the world to cheer at, it’s time for my sleeping pattern to be put way off base because I live in England and apparently America doesn’t want to accommodate for the time difference but what the hell it’s a highlight of the year. Yes, it’s freakin’ E3!
This year’s showing of games from the conference has genuinely been a surprise and delight to see unfold as my eyes were transfixed on my phone’s small and my laptop’s reasonably sized screen. In each and every conference there was something to woop, toot and scream in pure glee at, sure some conferences had more of these moments than others, and some had very uncomfortable and very cringe worthy moments to boot too; but overall this definitely was not a year to miss or skim over. But I know, sometimes there isn’t just enough time in the day for 5 conferences and boat loads of content from the show floor, so don’t worry, your old buddy BurtonReviews has your back and is going to rundown all the big reveals, jaw dropping, involuntary clap inducing, eye widening moments of gamer satisfaction.
 

1.    Spider-Man Gets a New Game:

The biggest moment of the whole show for me was a sleepy Monday morning. I woke up and checked my YouTube news feed and was greeted by videos of the NEW SPIDERMAN GAME! So, as to be expected, I flipped out, screaming with excitement and victory that we may get a good Spider-Man game once again; and I got all that joy just from a video title and picture of the webslingers face. But who was making it, were the rumours true? Was this Sucker Punch, the masterminds behind the also super heroic inFAMOUS series? Well it isn’t being developed by Sucker Punch but is in-fact being developed by another game developer with their own legendary history with PlayStation, Insomniac, developers of the Ratchet and Clank series. While I would have rather seen Sucker Punch take the helm, seeing Insomniac above the Spidy logo still gives me hope as their games are infused with the comedic timing and incredibly fun gameplay the Spider-Man games have been lacking in the past. Then we get to the trailer itself and oh my GOD! The movement looks astonishingly fluid, the voice actor fits the role amazingly even only in this short teaser, and finally Spider-Man is being given more scale with some set piece moments that really let the wall crawler shine and make my Spider Senses ’a tingle. So in part I am unbelievably excited for this game and utterly shocked it is even happening


2.    Crash Bandicoot Returns:

The second moment that had me screaming for joy was the wish fulfilling return of CRASH-FREAKIN’-BANDICOOT to the PlayStation stage! Everything about this reveal was genious! From how the orchestra began playing his uniquely late 90’s theme to the shadow of the iconic whirling protagonist following the speaker on stage. I literally jumped out of my seat as I was seeing the impossible happen before me, the video game that got me into videogames was finally being resurrected. While I would’ve loved to see abit more, the announcement of the remasters, which I can’t wait to pre-order the hell out of, and the trailer for Skylanders Imaginator were well enough for this little gamers heart to explode woth happiness. I mean we just saw Crash Bandicoot do a spin attack on the 2016 E3 stage screen at the Sony conference no less! And while Skylanders in no way interests me, that sweet Crash statue for the game has a special place on top of my PS4 waiting for him to Crash down on (sorry I couldn’t resist).

 

3.    Detroit – Become Human:

My next moment that blew me away from the show was less of an explosion of emotions but a steady rise in interest and excitement that left me wanting this game right-damn-now! The trailer for Detroit – Become Human at PSX already had me around its little finger. The concept of AI has been done to death in pretty much all mediums but this story and its world already feels fresh and new and looks to do something innovative with the tried ‘an AI has feelings, now what’ story line. And Quantic Dream’s revolutionary style of player choice dictating how the game unfolds not only seems to fit perfectly with this story but be enhancing it to a whole new level as we can see in this new E3 trailer. There were so many different ways this one scenario could have played out that it is truly mind boggling to think of how expansive and unique this game will become from person to person. Not only technologically wise with the branching path ways and, of course, breathtakingly realistic visuals, but emotionally too this trailer already had me hooked and invested in this world. This game just cannot come faster with the creator, David Cage, even seeming squirrely with the prospect of it being a 2017 game.


4.    Days Gone:

If you are a Kinda Funny Games listener/watcher like me, you will have heard Colin Moriarty speak many ‘a time about how amazing Sony Bend (developer of the PS Vita launch game Uncharted: Golden Abyss) is as a developer and how their next game will be something definitely to keep your eye on. Well when that game was revealed as Days Gone at the Sony conference it was definitely a #ColinWasRight moment because this game was breath taking. And I mean that in every way, from the astounding visuals that made it seem like actor Sam Witwer (Star Wars Force Unleashed, Smallville Season 8) was actually on screen, to the insurmountable number of freakers (basically zombies) on screen as they barrel towards you hungry for your flesh, but you really need that flesh to survive. The game harboured tones of The Last Of Us in all the right ways and while many will, wrongly, just brush it off as another zombie game, I really think Bend are onto something special with this game and I would highly recommend watching he gameplay to just see why I am so excited and intrigued by this brutal and dying world.


5.    Death Stranding:

Last, but in no way least, is the new Hideo Kojima game; Death Stranding. The reveal of this game was perfect from top to finish. From the gladiatorial reveal of Kojima on stage as he walked down a path of light to the epic drums of the Mad Max: Fury Road soundtrack, to the glee in his smile in the face of a sea of adoring fans, to the incredibly Kojima teaser trailer for Death Stranding, it was just an applauds warranted moment all round. Now onto the teaser, with a well-chosen song for the trailer, as Kojima always does, we see that Kojima has reunited with his friend Norman Reedus after the heart breaking death of Silent Hills to bring us an even crazier world of male umbilical cords, babies that disappear to nothing but tar hand prints, Norman Reedus’ bare butt, and 5 very intimidating hovering figures over a drained ocean. Seriously you just need to check it out and let Kojima take you on a ride because I am not only utterly excited by the game but ultimately intrigued to find out what the hell is actually going on.
 
And those are my top 5 moments/games of E3 2016. Now obviously I could include everything that I loved from the show, such as basically all of the Sony conference, the fast pace and unrelenting shock and awe of that conference was a master class in how this is done, and how it is done so so right! But game wise what also left a huge impression in my mind and definitely will in my wallet is the new God of War game which looks to take the angry old Kratos to a more emotionally dynamic level and create a really interesting and touching story of how a man so comfortable in atrocity can actually raise a son. There was also the surprisingly emotional TitanFall 2 story trailer that has instantly go me sold on the relationship between pilot and mech and I can’t wait to dive into and explore as I wall run through destroyed cities knowing this behemoth of a robot brother has my back the whole way. In the same vein Call of Duty Infinite Warfare looks fun as hell, space combat and zero G take downs, sign me up, I don’t care if everyone and their mum hates it, it looks like its going to be a badass time and I can’t wait.
So there it is. Another year, another E3 in the bag, and what an E3 it’s been. Except from maybe the PS4 reveal E3 year, this may have been the year with the most shocks, the most fanboy satisfaction and just overall the most excitement for this industry and where it will be going in the next couple of years; and I haven’t even mentioned how cool this E3 has made VR look with the Batman and X-Wing missions. It is truly a good time to be a gamer and a good time to be alive, and I hope you’ve enjoyed tis years roller coaster as much as me, happy E3 everybody!
Why not check out my YouTube channel, BurtonReviews, where I upload awesome gaming montages put to badass songs or scores every Sunday. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BurtonReviews Thor Ragnarok: Hold My Hammer, They’re Playing My Song

Resogun Review: Good Old Arcade Style Fun.

BurtonReviews Split: Are You Talking to Me?..Or Him?..Or Her?..Etcetera